‘Inspired by remote, wild places, I create paintings based on texture, weather and atmosphere, pouring paints and glazes in various intensities. I aim to avoid creating a landscape likeness, but draw instead on its spirit, allowing the viewer to contemplate on their own reminiscences of a wild place visited or explored’.
Landscape and the atmospheric quality of the elements inform Rebecca McLynn’s artwork. She is inspired by details of nature and the power that wild locations and untamed weather have over our emotions and feelings of wellbeing. She travels to remote locations, particularly the west coast of Ireland and its islands, to capture this experience of landscape.
Drawn to unspoilt, raw, wild, desolate landscapes in particular, and lush enchanted places rich in damp moss, foliage and colour, Rebecca captures the essence of a place magnificently. She uses a hint of figuration to draw the viewer into the work, while the composition allows the viewer to also contemplate their own reminiscences of place and time.
Layering oils, pigments, photography, marble dust and wax, Rebecca’s paintings combine specific details of the landscape with a mimicry of the weather conditions specific to place. Colour and texture are key, and time is carefully spent mixing pigments, oils and waxes to achieve exactly the right colour, tone and surface. The final piece is a balance between recognizable features and a distilling of the elemental conditions experienced.
Selected Recent Exhibitions:
- Morley College, London. “Immerse”, 2016 (to 19 October)
- Northcote Gallery, London. “Landspell”, 2015
- Northcote Gallery, London. “Moorland, Breeze and Breaking Wave”, 2014
- Sarah Wiseman Gallery, Oxford, Jan 2014
- Hilton Art Gallery, Bath. “Coastal Elements”, Nov 2013
- McAllister Thomas Gallery, Godalming (occasional group shows)
- Northcote Gallery, London. Solo exhibition “Wild Place”, Jan–Feb 2012
- Art Hamptons, Southampton, New York, 8–10 July 2011
- Northcote Gallery, Gallery artists, spring 2011
- Greenlane Gallery, Ireland and Paris, spring 2011
- Fairfax Gallery,Tunbridge Wells, Kent, group show, winter 2010/2011
- Art London, Chelsea, autumn 2010
- Flood Tide, Trinity Buoy Wharf, London. (Projection commissioned to project images of abstracted water to accompany a performance piece along the River Thames), 2008
- Beaux Arts, Bath, group show, summer 2010
- Sarah Myerscough Fine Art, London, Gallery artists, London, 2002-7
- Kilkenny Arts Festival, solo show, 2004
Site-specific work commissioned to accompany Flood Tide, music created by Thames tidal changes and performed by an ensemble led by John Eacott. Commissioned artwork include the Four Seasons Hotel, Hampshire, the University of Surrey Millennium Initiative, University of Lancaster Arts Collection, and AIB arts collection. Rebecca’s work has been featured in Elle Decoration, Homes and Garden, Methuen Books, and on the sets of Rough Magic Theatre Company and Hattrick’s Vicar of Dibley. Also the Laing Landscape Awards, The Discerning Eye, AAF, Art London, Islington Art Fair, Art Ireland. Private collections include UK, Ireland, US, France and India.
- MA Fine Art in Drawing from Wimbledon School of Art.
- BA Honours in Visual Art, Art History and Philosophical Aesthetics from Lancaster University.
- PGCE in Art and Design from the University of London Institute of Education.